For over a century, the purpose of The First National Bank has been to provide quality financial services in a friendly, customer-oriented manner at a reasonable price.
To this day, our purpose is displayed in everything we do and everything we provide. This commitment can be seen in our quality accounts and services, available to both individuals and businesses, such as:
Kasasa Cash – a free, high-interest checking account that also provides nationwide ATM fee refunds.
Investment Services – We offer personalized advice on a number of investment services ranging from trust and estate planning to annuities and more.
Wide Range of Lending Options – We offer several flexible loans to both individuals and businesses. As a local business and community member ourselves, we understand the local market and we can provide a much more personalized experience.
Go Local℠ - The Coles County area and surrounding communities are central to everything we do. We are committed to the Go Local initiative, in which we provide better community-oriented services and you in turn, keep your business local. This partnership allows us to keep the money within the Coles County area rather than it going to skyscraper buildings in far off cities. That money is used to grant higher returns to shareholders. And we are ultimately able to provide you with more personalized service and affordable lending, keeping in mind things like your character, rather than you being just a number.
We are also very proud to be a major employer in the community, providing an atmosphere for employees that is both professionally and personally motivating.
Come bank with a community institution you've gotten to know and trust for over 100 years, with people who are your neighbors. Come bank with The First National Bank.
Over 100 Years of Rich History
- The First National Bank of Mulberry Grove was chartered in Mulberry Grove, Illinois, with $25,000 in capital.
- Two hundred fifty shares of stock were issued at that time.
The Bank began as a storefront operation and moved into a permanent location in 1929.
A group of individuals formed a one-bank holding company, MGB Bancshares, Inc. and purchased the assets of The First National Bank of Mulberry Grove.
A branch was opened in Greenville, Illinois.
An additional branch started operations in Mattoon, Illinois.
- A convenience store center was added in Mattoon.
- With the expansion into other markets, the Bank dropped the "of Mulberry Grove" from its name and became simply "The First National Bank."
The First National Bank purchased the trust assets of BankCentral Trust and truly became a full-service community bank.
The First National Bank sold its Mulberry Grove and Greenville Branches to The First National Bank, Vandalia, Illinois.
- Assets of The First National Bank of Mulberry Grove have grown from $6.5 million in 1989 to $69,426,686.
- At the time of the formation of MGB Bancshares, Inc., the Bank was staffed by 6 employees; at the close of March 31, 2012, there were 18 full-time and
- 4 part-time employees staffing the Mattoon branches.
- In addition to two convenient banking facilities, customers have access to two ATMs located in the Coles County service area.